The head of the World Health Organisation says more than 1,900 people are now known to have died in the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. The organisation says 40% of the deaths have occurred in the past three weeks. The WHO says at least $600m will be needed to fight the outbreak. Richard Hamilton reports.
While a few lucky foreigners have been evacuated and treated with the latest experimental drugs the plight of those in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia is becoming increasingly desperate. Last week the WHO warned that there could be 20,000 cases of Ebola within the next nine months. The spread of the disease seems to be escalating rapidly, confirming a warning by Medecins Sans Frontieres on Tuesday that the battle against the disease is being lost. With health systems in the state of collapse and doctors and nurses dying, the medical charity said treatment centres have become places where patients went to die.
World News from the BBC