Directions: In this section, you will hear 3 short passages. At the end of each passage, you will hear some questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 1 with a single line through the centre.
Questions 16 to 18 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
16. A) Ignore small details while reading.
B) Read at least several chapters at one sitting.
C) Develop a habit of reading critically.
D) Get key information by reading just once or twice.
17. A) Choose one’s own system of marking.
B) Underline the key words and phrases.
C) Make as few marks as possible.
D) Highlight details in a red color.
18. A) By reading the textbooks carefully again.
B) By reviewing only the marked parts.
C) By focusing on the notes in the margins.
D) By comparing notes with their classmates.
Questions 19 to 21 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
19. A) The sleep a person needs varies from day to day.
B) The amount of sleep for each person is similar.
C) One can get by with a couple of hours of sleep.
D) Everybody needs some sleep for survival.
20. A) It is a made-up story. C) It is a rare exception.
B) It is beyond cure. D) It is due to an accident.
21. A) His extraordinary physical condition.
B) His mother’s injury just before his birth.
C) The unique surroundings of his living place.
D) The rest he got from sitting in a rocking chair.
Questions 22 to 25 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
22. A) She invested in stocks and shares on Wall Street.
B) She learned to write for financial newspapers.
C) She developed a strong interest in finance.
D) She tenderly looked after her sick mother.
23. A) She made a wise investment in real estate.
B) She sold the restaurant with a substantial profit.
C) She got 1.5 million dollars from her ex-husband.
D) She inherited a big fortune from her father.
24. A) She was extremely mean with her money.
B) She was dishonest in business dealings.
C) She frequently ill-treated her employees.
D) She abused animals including her pet dog.
25. A) She made a big fortune from wise investment.
B) She built a hospital with her mother’s money.
C) She made huge donations to charities.
D) She carried on her family’s tradition.
16. D 17. A 18. B
19. D 20. C 21. B
22. C 23. D 24. A 25. B